For Mothers’ Day weekend, I decided to experiment with our new wood chip smoker box.
I tried a spicy pork rib recipe from a Southern cookbook called “Adam’s Ribs”. It’s a dish that takes up to 5 hours to cook.
Despite having owned a barbecue for years, I’ve never actually tried to smoke anything before.
Some things to note from this little experiment:
1. Soak the wood chips in water before putting them into the smoker box. This will help to keep them moist and last longer.
2. I actually turned on 2 burners at first (as the recipe instructed), but the heat proved to be too close to the meats. Some of the meat closer to the burners started to get black really fast. So I turned off the 2nd burner and it was much better.
3. As you can see from the images below, I’ve actually put the ribs on the unlit side. I put the smoker box on the lit side.
4. It’s good to preheat your grill like an oven as it takes a while to heat up. The general idea is to get about 175 degrees Celsius.
5. Baste the ribs every hour for about 2 – 3 hours. On the last hour, baste every 10 minutes.
Your thoughts: Would you get a smoker? If so, what flavours of wood chips would you like to try?
Wood Chips and Smoker Boxes are available from Liberty Patio.